Thursday 17 January 2013

So... the Doctor has confirmed the my worst fears...

...I will have to get injections - and A LOT of them!

When reading my prep pack for Nepal they mentioned vaccinations, something I had stupidly not even thought about! They recommended 6 or so vaccinations for 'roughin it' travel to Nepal.

First of all, I thought rabies was something made up that as kids we used to say other kids had. Nope, turns out it is a jab (in fact, it is the jab that you need when you get bitten by, for example, a random monkey)! And then there is Polio, Typhoid, Hepatitis A & B, Tetanus, etc..... I had a blood test today which will indicate whether I have an immunity to any of the above so I may get away with less jabs :-D fingers are crossed!

On the brighter side of my appointment, when asked about my alcohol consumption and I replied 'errr.. a glass of red wine a day' he actually said, and I quote, "Wow, that's really good - very moderate." So as the doctor orders...

Ooooo... and I don't really know what the blood pressure is all about but he took mine and oooooed and gushed about mine! He said it was amazing! When I told everyone this they asked what it was and I didn't really take note but think he said 95/60..? No idea so must get it done again for bragging rights. Must be the athlete inside of me eh... kickin that marathon's butt already.

The one comment I will ignore from the doctor was in regards to altitude sickness - something that does scare me coz if I get it, they pop you in a helicopter & goodbye my dream of reaching BC. I had said to the doctor that at least with training for the marathon I will be better able to cope with the altitude. He made a wee comment 'it seems to be the fittest of people that get altitude sickness' and then laughed it off and explained there is no way to completely safeguard yourself from it. Ta, Doc... a.k.a Mr Positivity! Forgot to tell him I have my weapon against altitude - Keegan and his altitude training machine (note to self - must chat to him about when I start that!)

I knew training for my marathon would put me out of my comfort zone before I flew to Nepal - but turns out there is more to come with these damn big, gigantic, horrible needles haha... after my blood test today I spoilt myself with a super duper massive bowl of Goody Gum Drop ice cream... so suppose I best make sure the freezer has a good supply! Don't think I have seen an obese marathon runner before?? So should be right eh - calcium for the bones! ;P


No comments:

Post a Comment