Friday 11 January 2013

Hope & Home

I thought I would talk a little about my time volunteering at an orphanage in Nepal from the 15th of May this year.

Why do it?
I will quote Bear Grylls to answer this:

'I see volunteering as a character factory. It teaches us that there is more to life than having the latest clothes or getting a promotion. It reminds us that we're happiest when we work together for a common purpose that helps and empowers others.
When we are challenged, we find out just how much we are really capable of, and our confidence increases with each new challenge faced and overcome.'

So really, like with the marathon and Everest Base Camp, I just wanna give it a go and I'm sure it is something you can't leave untouched by the experience. I will admit right now that this part of my adventures terrifies me, absolutely and completely. Not just the 'singing toilets' (see below), but the fact that I will get to know these children over the month and although I am there to volunteer, I am truly helpless.

How?
I have booked my volunteering with International Volunteer HQ, a New Zealand company which focuses on affordable volunteering in places that need it. They have linked me with Hope and Home, who will place me in an orphanage in Nepal.

I will not know where I will be placed until a few days before I start. The reason for this? Hope and Home ensure that I am in the orphange that needs me most at the time. So I could be in Kathmandu or 7 hours away in Chitwan (where the Chitwan National Park is - with my fav animal the Rhino!), or Pokhara (a starting point for many treks into the mountains so gorgoues views from this small rural town) watch this space...

I will be living with a local Nepalese family and I have to say I am looking forward to it! I was an exchange student in Denmark for a year, and have lived with a host family before and the experience was amazing, and the best way to learn about a culture!

What Will I Do?
Well first of all, my primary role is to act like a big sister to the children in the orphanage. The age of the children will vary depending on the orphanage I am placed in. Tasks in the orphanage generally involve getting the children ready for school, hygiene routines, cleaning around the orphanages, supporting the other staff, helping with homework, and generally offering love and support to these children who do not have parents.

A Few Cultural Differences...
I don't think I will truly understand the cultural differences in Nepal until I get there and then it will be 'culture shock' - but hey, what you put in is what you get out of any experience so I plan to overcome these quickly!

Just a few for now that I have learnt about in my briefing pack from Hope and Home (some homestays differ, but majority will be as follows):

  • No washing machines - handwashing only. They do mention that you can pay local woman to handwash your clothes as it does help them with school fees etc. But I think this might be a smaller of the differences!
  • Very little hot water, if any - so cold showers for a month. But hey I will be there at the start of summer so will probably be the preference anywho!
  • 'Singing Toilets' - this is what many are known as because they do not have doors. So when someone is close by you sing out. Also the toilets are usually located outside and are squats, so a torch is necessary I think!
  • Eating - okay, so anyone who knows me knows I LOOVVVEEE my food hehe... The Nepalese eat two main meals a day, breakfast and dinner only (eek!). And these usually consist of rice and curry (yes, for breakfast too). During the day they also drink a lot of tea (yah!) and have fruit and nuts. This part will be interesting... I am intrigued!
I remember when I lived in Denmark and the U.K I had a few very funny wee stories because of the cultural differences. And so I look forward to all the interesting things that occur in Nepal due to cultural differences because I think it is slightly more differed to New Zealand. the U.K, and Denmark!
So that is a little about my volunteering adventure... I have moments of pure excitement and moment of pure terror when thinking about it! Bring it on!




No comments:

Post a Comment