Saturday 18 May 2013

Arrived in a wee village surrouned by rice fields...

So I have arrived in my village and first I must say... it is HOT!! Trying to get used to constantly dripping in sweat. And this village really is away from everything. It is over two hours to get to the Chitwan National Park and about an hour to get to a town. Although a ten minute walk from our home is this wee internet cafe which sells cold drinks. Cold Fanta Mmmmmmm...

So anywho, I am living with 3 other volunteers with Sanjiv and his mother Rada. The home is gorgeous and surrounded by rice fields. Down the road is a river you can swim in. The Canadian volunteers who leave tomorrow have told us they haven't swum because of water snakes in there, but I will say now that is def not going to stop me! Too hot to care I think! Oh and snakes are also about. Today when I was heading to my room one was wrapped round my shoes so John (Volunteer from UK) and I swept him out with brushes (made of wheat I think?). Okay I keep losing track... back to yesterday...

So after arriving, playing some cards and relaxing, Sanjiv grabbed a motorbike from the neighbours (his Aunty) and I jumped on the back so we could head to my school.
My school is Annapurna Higher Secondary School (I think, will have to check that hehe). There are 500 children at the school from the age of 3 years old to 18. I met the English teacher there, and also A LOT of the other teachers too. They all have varying levels of English - hopefully something I can help to improve in the very short time of a month.

Oh and cannot believe it when one of the mathematics teachers tells me that his son is studying in Tauranga!! Will have to find out where but did tell him I live near there so I think when I get back I will definitely have to catch up with him.

So I am at the school just as it has finished and I am shown the classes which are like what I imagine my grandparents to have had. Except the one exception which is the white board rather than blackboard. All that is in the class are the chairs and seats (which are wooden and connected) and then the white board with a platform for the teacher. there is also on of those stands that a conductor uses in an orchestra.

Then English teacher explained to me that the children don't move classes for their subjects, the teachers move to the students (damn!). And he also discussed how much the children are struggling with English, Maths, and Science. And in particular, English because the town is so remote and there are not a lot of opportunities to practice it. He did detail ways they are trying to improve results but I will go into detail another time when I know more.

After school I was chatting with the head teacher who has been teaching there for over 30 years and he said something to me in Nepali but I heard the word chiya which means tea and said 'Yes, please!' So I had tea with some of the teachers before heading back home. Oh and this tea is yuuuummmy! Is a milk tea but here they put lot of sugar in it hehe... Oh and the teachers paid for my tea too, they are lovely and welcoming.

They also asked a lot of questions about New Zealand. They don't know a lot and I had to show them on a map but they do know Sir Edmund Hillary is from NZ!! The head teacher said he is very well respected here.

My day is going to sort of be like this:

6-6:30am Go to village school. Bike to a local village to a slab of concrete where village children will come to have any extra help with their English or other school work. Usually an hour long.

8:30-9am Breakfast time which is Dal Baat (Curried veges, rice, lentil soup, spinach, and if we are lucky egg) Oh and eaten with our right hand - there is a technique and I have got it sussed! Although by the time I leave here my right hand will be yellow in colour!

10am School starts. So bike there for 25 minutes and the next I am not sure of...

4:10pm School ends. Possibly tea (chiya) with the teachers or home to chill out with the other volunteers.

8pm Dinner which is Dal Bhat.

Then bedtime and repeat! This is 6 days a week with Saturday being the day off. So I will be shattered but I'm lucky to have a lovely family I am living with. Rada is soooo sweet and we call her Aama (mother in Nepali). On Mothers Day here the volunteers brought her a vacuum cleaner and today was the first time she used it. You should have seen her grin! Was also very cute watching her understand how it works and John showing her how to use it. She cooks for us and only speaks Nepali but I know enough now to get bye. Especially when it comes to dinner and breakfast. Ali ali means 'a little' and I make sure I say it before she serves mine up! Last night though we all ate lots and had seconds and I don't think she could have been happier. She was whipping around us all topping up whatever we needed.

And the village is small but friendly. I am getting to know the local children and a few of the Aunties and Uncles about the place. Including the Uncle who owns the local liquor/convenient store, which is where we visited last night while the power was out.

Oh and am a little gutted because  I asked Sanjiv if rhinos came to the village and he said in the winter you would have the odd one walking through the village!! Obviously, not in the summer so may have to come back one day in the winter til one waltzes past! Hehe...

Today I have also been trying to prepare for my classes but there really isn't much you can do. I have been told to expect the first week to be bloody hard. And the kids treat you like a substitute teacher so I am got to make sure I control the room from the get go. Of course, I am nervous but am sure I can contribute in some way over the next month.

Anywho, gotta go! Damn hot and have drunk all my fanta... looking forward to a cold shower when I get home!

Wish me luck for tomorrow! Maybe having my own classes and getting thrown into it is the best way to become awesome! Haha ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment