Friday 5 April 2013

Procrastination with a Capital P

Oooo... in just 3 weeks I will be wandering the streets of Nepal! Super, DUPER, excited!! And with my big adventure creeping up on me you would think I would be super organised, right? NOPE. I wrote a To Do List a few months ago with the essentials that I must not forget to do. Today I went through them and, well, could only tick off a few things! I have always been a procrastinator, and even brought a book about how to stop procrastinating - but unfortunately never got round to reading it. So here I am, writing this post, instead of getting things sorted.
 
Big shoes for big dreams! Everest Base Camp I'm ready!
But I did sort my hiking boots. I had no choice really, everyone kept asking, 'Have you got your boots yet?' and telling me I needed them ASAP so I could wear them in. So on the weekend of my marathon I popped into Kathmandu (love its name ;-P) and checked out their hiking boots. I got the first pair I tried on and also got some bug repellent hiking socks (watch out leeches!). And now I have been wearing my boots everywhere - last night I had them on with my PJs, totally going to start a trend!
 
My training has completely changed focus - now I am focused on getting to Base Camp (not space camp - my friend Tory from Manchester thought I was going to 'space camp' for half an evening!) My marathon coach has now become my Base Camp coach. My training involves hills/fast running, hiking, and altitude training. As I have said in an earlier blog, I'm lucky that Keegan has some sort of altitude machine that I will be able to use to get my body at least a little used to what the breathing will be like. I start that tomorrow so watch this space for how that goes...
 
Getting back to training has actually been really difficult. I didn't run until just over a week after the marathon. And during this time was the Easter holidays which I spent at the beach drinking, eating, and chilling out. So my first run was horrible. I only went for 30 minutes but OMG it was the hardest 30 minutes. My poor knees ached. The day after I felt like an old lady with rickety old bones. Couldn't believe it. When I groaned to Keegan he said it was normal - man, our bodies are strange!
 
I suppose I should go now and start to look at actually getting things on my To Do List done. I haven't even got a big backpack yet... or insect repellent. And I need to have one more blood test (for TB). And actually I need a sleeping bag... and take my last oral vaccine (involves not eating for hours, booo!)....and buy a mosquito net... and order US dollars...  and... AND... and.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
 
Right, I'm going to go and stop procrastinating now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment