Friday 12 April 2013

Altitude Training Begins

Well I have been SUPER busy this week sorting things for my big adventure! And altitude training has begun. Keegan has shown me all I need to know to use the altitude machine. It can be used on different levels starting at Level One (altitude at 2,800m) to Level 5 (altitude at 5,800m). Keegan advised I should start at the lower level and work my way up. Well, on my first session, not knowing if it would truly work, I started on Level 5...
 
Altitude training. Just missing my cuppa tea.
You breath through the mask for five minutes and then breathe without the mask for 5 minutes and do this for an hour. The mask is hand held as well which can be annoying - they don't put the strap on as it is considered dangerous doing so.

So, bring it on Level 5. After 40 minutes I felt quite dizzy and had a killer headache so I turned to Keegan to ask if a headache was normal. Right away he told me not to do any more. First session done. You can feel nauseous or dizzy through the sessions, but headaches mean you have done too much so the next day I went to Level 1 to do as I was told!!
 
I mentioned in an earlier post that I had brought my hiking boots. On Sunday I decided to wear them in with a hike up to the summit of Mount Te Aroha - a local hike that is known for its difficulty. I took my cousin Tayla with me and we set off in the morning. With a packed lunch and not a whole lot of motivation we began...

This hike is literally ALL up hill. And I mean ALL. Many parts you are literally climbing up tree roots or simply rock climbing. We stopped for lots of breaks to refresh our poor, fuming legs. I have never sweat so much, I literally had sweat dripping off my face, ick! I think that bothered me more than the pain. The final climb to the top of Mt Te Aroha is literally that, a climb. But we made it after 1 hour 40 minutes, a lot quicker than the 2 hours 30 minutes it usually takes.
 
We sat at the top for around an hour having a picnic lunch... it was gorgeous!! 360 views with the blue sky; so clear you could see all around. Was lovely just sitting up there, although I was raging when I heard another hiker mention her hot tea in her thermos... could not have been more jealous, was freezing up there - a tea would have been bliss!
 
Mt Te Aroha Pictures


Mt Te Aroha

Walking up Mt Te Aroha

Made It!!
Best spot for a picnic lunch.
And walking back down.
Motivation since the marathon has been hard. Very hard.
 
However, on Wednesday I had my best hills run EVER. Is amazing how, prior to the run I could SO not be bothered. I just wanted to sit on the sofa and have a cuppa tea and some Tim Tams. And yet, I put on my shoes and went. I listened to Beyonce and Jessie J as I ran and was surprised to feel myself basically sprinting the whole way - even up the hills! It felt great. I ran the 10km of Kakahu Road hills in 54 minutes. Very fast! Very PROUD!
 
And so now I have less than two weeks before I fly off to my Nepal adventure.
 
I was talking to a friend, Chantal, during the week. I mentioned to her how, when I arrive, I haven't arranged any transfers, and in fact didn't even know where the airport was. I wanted to start my trip with a challenge and adventure: start lost. Well, Chantal soon sorted me out. She pointed out that after 20 hours travelling arriving in a strange and crazy country would be enough.
In fact, Tash (who has done Everest Base Camp) had said to me recently, "Just wait til you land and a bunch of Nepalese men try to grab you and your bag to get a tip. Strap that pack on and don't let go! You're about to arrive in unorganised madness and eventually you will learn to love it." 
 
I have two months to have adventures so perhaps I will save the challenges until then... Might just go Google where the airport is right now and look at how I will get there. Will be enough surprises when I arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment