Sunday 9 June 2013

Settled & Happy. New challenge & Adventure necessary...

Another week has passed and again, so many new experiences and memories. Nepal is a place where every day there are surprises and mostly from the people who are like a giant family... especially in our lovely village of Padampokhari.

My week began with a quick visit to the doctor for some antibiotics and drugs. They soon did the trick but on the Sunday I was very upset as so fed up with being ill. On my way home from school on Sunday I phoned my sis in tears. I made sure I got it out of me before I reached my village! Had I known I would go to the doctors on the back of a motorbike I would've gone a week earlier! Loved it! And slightly less bumpy then bus or bike.

But my days at school were now a lot of fun, and I felt so at home and part of the staff. With the Grade 9 and 10s we had a classroom discussion about why they are proud of Nepal followed by the students writing an essay. Through the discussion they spoke of all the things i love about Nepal. From the incredible landscapes and animals, to the friendly people and rich culture. 

I was surprised when they also said they were proud of their caste system. Without going into too much detail, a Nepali person is born into a caste and will remain this caste their entire life. The Brahmin caste is the highest caste and they, for example, would not touch or eat food prepared by a lower caste. Outsiders such as myself are considered to be not pure so I suppose a low caste. There is so much to it, but it is not followed so much these days. But in more remote villages it is still be much apart of life. 

On Tuesday we had four new volunteers arrive (Terese left on Sunday). I had Jorae from Canada join me teaching at my school. On her first day she struggled like I did. She didn't want to do the biggest class again after they were crazy so I took them, and they were very good for me. It shows that with everyone it does take time for them to respect you. I made them promise to be good next time for Jorae but we will see if that happens! The only problem with having another volunteer at the school was that I didn't have as many classes. So I would teach 2 or 3 classes (rather than 5+) but be there for the whole day. And so brings me to how I am now working at an orphanage...

Jorae had come to Chitwan from Pokhara working in an orphanage. We chatted a lot about it. She told me at her orphanage volunteers are needed, and even if I just went for a week, it would be good. Now that I was settled and happy in my village and at my school I thought about it a lot. Should I stay and enjoy a lovely time here or should I uproot myself for a week and have a new challenge and experience? 

Of course, I went for the latter. After raising money from my marathon for part of the costs of volunteering and to go towards an orphanage, this would be my opportunity to find the best place for this money. I had half a week left in Chitwan so decided I would extend my program slightly and leave a few days early to do a week at Jorae's orphanage in Pokhara. Everything was arranged. I would leave on the Saturday morning.

On the Thursday in my last time with Grade 9B I told them it would be my last day tomorrow. They asked if I would join them in their Grammar class the next day so they could have me once more and I agreed. Friday is a shorter day and their class would be my last. 

On my last day at the school it was very overwhelming and sad. I really struggled with their kindness and generosity. The school had made me feel at home. One of my students came to the staff room and gave me a flower and all the children were wanting to say goodbye. I arrived in my Grade 9B to find that we were not doing their Grammar that day. First they gave me a gift that they had sorted themselves. They knew my favourite animal was the rhino so they gave me a wooden rhino ornament ad had written about the rhino too. They gave me some roses and pages of writing which included one of the childrens' essays about why they are proud of Nepal. The remainder of the class was spent with different students standing and singing to me, or reading me poems about friendship.

My favourite was:

Fanta is Fanta, it is not Coke.
Friendship is friendship, it is no joke.

Cute eh?

After that class and after lunch with the teachers, all the teachers gathered in the staff room and I was invited to sit in the middle with the Headmaster (Mani Lal) and the Vice-Principal (Batuk). A presentation was done with Batuk speaking. I was handed a letter thanking me for my time there. They spoke of my 'teaching perfection' (hehe) and talked of my contribution to the school. So very sweet.

Then with the Headmaster first, all the teachers put a tikka to my forehead and handed me a flower. I was covered in the red powder in the end! Hilarious! One of the woman got a cloth and cleaned me up a little haha. We then had a group picture and I had to say goodbye.

As I biked from the school there were tears. The whole day had been incredible and such a crazy experience! 

I was to be spoilt even more when I got home. That night Aama made me my fried chicken (we have chicken once a week) and my favourite Dal Bhaat of curried cauliflower, rice, and lentil soup. 

That was followed by sitting at the back of Uncle's house with everyone and Nepali music having a few drinks. I created the 'Angela's Mango Surprise'. It had vodka, mango juice, sprite, and a straw with a Jolly Rancher lollipop sticking out of it... oh and some bugs, SURPRISE! Haha... 

Could not believe I would be leaving this quiet wee village and my new large family. 

The next morning I woke early and found, because I didn't have time for Dal Bhaat, Aama had prepared some mango for me (my absolute favourite!!!). Again spoilt rotten!

The trip to Pokhara was.... crazy! The bus to the city never came, and I was going to miss my bus from the city to Pokhara. We quickly ordered a cab but managed to jump on the roof of a bus that doesn't usually stop for us. Twenty minutes later we met up with our taxi and sped away to the city. Could not believe we made it! 

So I am now in Pohkara and so much already happening here so I will write about that another time, maybe tomorrow. Being on the internet is a bit of a chore at the moment.

All I will say about Pokhara right now, is that I am struggling with the traffic and how busy it is with tourists! The girls were saying how peaceful it is here compared to Kathmandu but I am finding it insanely busy! Can't relax! Maybe in a day or two I will adjust... village life sure was peaceful and chilled!!

Weeks Highlights:

  • Sitting outside watching a massive storm while hoping it would make a mango fall off the mango tree. After around an hour I moved to watch it over the rice fields. Then a lightning striked a tree (or the metal from the bridge?) 400 metres in front of me, with sparks flying!! I screamed and ran but at the same time the loudest thunder of my life BANGED! The only way I could describe it would be like getting an electric shock from a fence or something. The sound went right through my body. Took awhile to calm down after that!
  • Thunder and lightning starting during our last period at school so having to pedal like mad on the bikes to get home before the rain started pouring. Got home to still have time to play football on the temple grounds. But soon it bucketed down and had to race for our jandals and get home.
  •  Going for a walk out of the village in the morning and after 20 minutes walking being invited into a home for some milk tea. Fresh from the family's buffalo it was delicious!! More hospitality from the friendly locals!

No comments:

Post a Comment