Tuesday 18 June 2013

Bye Bye Pokhara, Bye Bye AAN :-(

Now in my last post I mentioned a lot of 'we' but never told ya about the volunteers I worked with in Pokhara! There is David and Jenna, who are from England. Pokhara is just a small part of all their travels which should last at least until July next year. I'm very excited because there is a huge possibility that they will be in Australia and New Zealand so will def be catching up!! Then there is Mim (also from England), who has returned to AAN after being here 2 months last year. She was my Perky Beans buddy... best mango smoothie in Perky Beans!!

The rest of my week at AAN flew by pretty quickly. Every morning and evening I spent with the kids, during the day I chilled out. My hang out became the Bullet Base Camp Bar. I can not recommend this place more! When you first walk in you think its just a bikers bar (there is a motorbike hanging from the roof and the whole bar is decked out with bike parts). But this place is a home away from home. You can not sit here an hour without being invited to play a game of pool with a friendly stranger. Those strangers soon become friends, and those that work there felt like family pretty quickly! Oh... and the food is soo very yummy and a total bargain. On my last day in Pokhara I was chilling out there with Mim when Ed (barman from Netherlands) had us taste some of the pesto he had just made for a pasta dish he was going to try that night. OMG, it was delish! I was sooooo gutted that I wouldn't get to try that pasta and told him so. It was the night we would have a wee party at AAN. I'll just add here that I did get to have some but more on that later...

During my week at Pokhara I had been staying at the Garden House as I mentioned in my previous post. Now I had endured my week there because Tikka had been lovely, and I didn't want to cause a fuss. But all week I had not gotten any sleep from the heat in the room, the noise of the tin roof, and Tikka being not so quiet with her radio, and waking of Yogash (5 year old boy who is supported by AAN). On the Friday morning I washed a Toy Story single duvet cover I had used on my travels. My plan was to give it to the Childrens Home. I hung it out and Tikka came up to me and using hand gestures was asking that I give the cover to her. Now, Yogash does live with Tikka in her room, so I could understand that he may use it, but I wanted to give it to Milan who would make sure it went where it was needed. So I said to Tikka, 'Milan, AAN Childrens Home' and said no to giving it to her. I was shocked when she kept saying 'gift' and pointing to herself. I was more shocked when, after saying no many times, she stormed off! More on this later...

On Friday morning, instead of sending the kids off on the school bus, Mim and I joined them! The bus ride was fun with Anu sat on my knee the whole way in the packed in bus. When we arrived at the school the kids were all so excited to have us there. They all wanted to show us their classrooms and introduce us to their friends. They were so proud to have us there, which was so very sweet. But when the bell went they went running! Five minutes later the whole school was all gathered in the middle of the school in perfect lines. They did different actions all in sync and sung the National Anthem together. Was incredible to see!!

Now that particular week two of the girls had had their birthdays and the following week another two of the girls would have their birthdays. So our party became a wee birthday party too for the four girls. And the ice cream became a big chocolate cake!! Milan picked me up from Bullet Bar on the Friday to go to order the chocolate cake and momos for that night. Gotta say again, I love travelling on the motorbikes here in Nepal! Love it! Especially since I don't wear a helmet... free as a bird haha. While ordering the momos and chocolate cake Milan and I had an incredible piece of cake. Don't know what is was, was red and white but OMG so yummy! Momos and cake ordered, David and Jenna sorted the Pass the Parcel, and decorations sorted. Ready.

I returned to the Garden House to pack my bags ready for the next day, and returned to a very quiet Tikka. I went to my room and had everything spread out to start packing. Tikka and Yogash stood in my room while I packed and started looking through my things. I tried to ignore this a little and kept on packing. Then Tikka starting putting on my cardigan and said 'gift'. Don't get me wrong, I did have a gift I planned to give to Tikka, but the way she was asking really had me not wanting to give her anything! I took the cardigan off her and said no. In his best English Yogash explained that Tikka liked the maxi dress I wore at nights and would like it as a gift. I said again no. I started to lose it at this point, how rude that someone would come into my room and try to pick out their own gift? Tikka then stormed out. I no longer felt comfortable at the Garden House.

Milan arrived shortly after to have a cuppa with me and I told him I was struggling to sleep in the Garden House and could I go stay with David and Jenna (who had been lovely and offered a spare bed at their place). He insisted I sleep in the childrens home that night and happily I agreed. Before leaving to go find the others (to have a much needed rant!) I gave Yogash some coloured pencils, but left Tikka to it. I should note here that Tikka has only been very lovely to me, and very sweet. I was very upset that things turned a little sour in the end, but at the party that night Tikka was again lovely to me. Cultural differences I suppose.

Anywho, enough of the negativity eh!! Now I get to the fun part... the party! When we arrived at the Home the girls were all practicing dancing and we weren't allowed in the downstairs part. The momos and cake arrived and it was time to tuck in. Although the momos were slightly spicy they were delish. The kids loved them, and I don't think I have ever been thanked so much in my life! Was lovely, and loved seeing the kids tucking in. After the momos Milan had made very yummy lassis! A lassi is like a milkshake, but Milan's lassi was like a fruit salad lassi, nom nom. A lot of the girls had lassi moustaches too hehe. 

David and Jenna started the Pass the Parcel with everyone. They had been dead smart about it too, knowing which layers had no sweets in it so when Milan got the parcel twice, both times he did not get a sweet, the kids thought it was hilarious! When the last layer came it was sweet and quiet Puja who won the little purse and sweets :-)

Now was time for a big chocolate cake (which looked gorgeous btw and written on it 'Happy Birthday Girls'... oh and had a rabbit on it - fab because rabbit is what the kids call David. We had all the kids sitting in the library room and after a lot of explaining (they don't do birthday cakes here so this was all new to them) had the four birthday girls sat together, ready for the cake. I walked in with the cake (and everyone singing happy birthday) and loved seeing the girls' happy faces when they saw it! They all blew out the candles and had cake smashed into their faces hehe... Then we all tucked in!

Now we all wanted to spoil the kids and this was our chance, but in the end it was the kids that spoilt us with a dance show. We all sat watching the different girls in their best dresses dancing to Nepali music including my favourite song 'Simple, Simple'. Even one of the older boys got up and sang a song which was incredible to see! Little Sima got up many times to show off her dance moves. We had so much fun and after the dancing show was done we put the music on and danced like crazy! No idea how the kids kept going, we were shattered by the time we left! 

Oh and I forgot to mention that my name here in Pokhara is Anju. Back when I was trekking Bibek (assistant guide) had called me Anju as it was my Nepali name. At the school many of the teachers and children called me Anju. At AAN I was simply Anju, not Angela :-)

After the party David, Jenna, Mim and I went to Bullet Bar for a few drinks. On arriving I asked Ed if there was any leftover pasta and he got me some 'on the house'. It was frikken yummy! The bar was lit by candles which was sweet, and the bar was pretty busy. When the bar was meant to close by law I asked Ed about the police coming, he simply said 'I haven't been arrested in Nepal'. Haha... The bar was all shut up so nobody would've really known anywho. David, Jenna and I left Mim with friends and went home - I had an 8 hour bus trip to Kathmandu early the next morning, groooooaaaaan....

Now I was staying at the orphanage on this evening so was slightly worried when I was heading back late, and a little tipsy... David and Jenna did say if I couldn't get in to go to theirs to crash. I arrived at the home to silence. I walked to the second floor, around the corner, and to Milan's window. I knocked on his window a few times... no answer. I knocked again and whispered 'Milan, wake up'. Never been so happy to hear 'Anju?' Hehe... he let me in and made sure I was safe and sound - such a sweetheart. I fell asleep with the windows open and woke in the night to fireflies flying about. Lay there wondering if it would burn if a firefly touched me before being quickly asleep again. Lovely :-) 

Woke the next morning and said good morning to the kids who quickly got me a cuppa tea. Then it was quick goodbyes. It broke my heart saying goodbye. How it is possible to care so much about children who were strangers only a week before? They really had made me feel a part of their family, and I had had so much fun with them. But they truly blew me away and inspired me. After such troubled pasts these children were working hard at school and living in harmony together while welcoming in complete strangers to their home. And they had such gorgeous big smiles!! Miss them :-(

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete