Monday 4 March 2013

3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run. Happy to be a spectator!

Wow, what a busy & crazy weekend of highs, lows & Tim Tams!

I spent the last weekend in Taupo to see Keegan race in the Taupo Ironman. I stayed in a house of 4 adults (Myself, Mum, Aunty Sandra, Uncle Graham) and 7 children (3 x younger siblings, 3 x cousins, 1 x neice) - so a lot of noise & a lot of fun. Of course, one of the hardest things about a weekend away, is fitting in training. This weekend it was illness that saw me miss my very first training day.

We arrived in Taupo on Friday evening and the second we arrived I put my shoes on and ran out the door. I wanted it done so I could enjoy the evening with everyone... and sample some of the wine Mum had stocked the fridge with. The next day the Ironman would take place so I planned to wake early and get my day's run in while the others watched Keegan start the Ironman. 

Saturday Morning 6:15am: Woke with a knife lodged in my throat (not literally).

Planned Run: Postponed.

As the sun rises the Pro athletes are already in the
lake beginning on the their Ironman swim.
Not wanting to agitate my throat I decided to join the others down by the lake and see Keegan start the Ironman & run later. We arrived just as the Pro athletes set off. Graham got us some necessary coffees while we waited for Keegan to transition to the bike. The sunrise was gorgeous and the lake very peaceful despite the large crowds. Keegan's number one support crew Tracy and Ava (wife & daughter) cheered Keegan on as he raced past the crowd towards his bike.

One car load including Tracy headed off to see Keegan bike, while myself in the other car load headed home for some breakfast and rest. NB: It takes the Pro athletes 8-9 hours to complete the Ironman so taking breaks is a must for me spectators (no break for the athletes though!!!)
Keegan's #1 Fans
12:30pm: We are all down near the transition from bike to run waiting for Keegan. Can actually not believe that for the past 6 hours these athletes have been pushing their bodies to their limits. Getting up before sunrise was hard enough for me!!

Once Keegan races past (they now go & run a full marathon!) we walk along the lake to find shade, and our spot for the next few hours. Keegan ran past us many times while we chilled out by the lake. The Ironman really is an awesome day out. You have all the excitement of the race & its inspiring participants, and you also have the gorgeous setting of Taupo with lots to do between cheering duties.

I have seen Keegan race twice in Copenhagen so Taupo was my third. In all races, Keegan never breaks a smile. I think I may have to make it my mission to make hime smile during a race. You can cheer and cheer but he doesn't blink! Must be 'in the zone'.
Keegan running past.

With some very sore feet, Keegan came 7th on Saturday finishing in 8:50:22, congrats!! How you can push your body like that I do not know. My marathon is a walk in the park in comparison.

Speaking of marathons, when we got home at around 5pm that day, I realised I would be missing a run. I was shattered and my throat still aching. When Keegan was around that evening I could barely look at him I was so ashamed of missing it. Fancy missing a tiny 1 hour run the same day your coach comes 7th in an Ironman! Eeeek.....

Well... I was going to make up for the day off.

The next morning I set off for my long Sunday run at 6:15am in the dark. Running around the lake was gorgeous, and I think I must've said goodmorning to 40 other runners during the run, everyone was so friendly.

Now I don't know if it was the guilt from not running the previous day, or inspiration from the Ironman (or perhaps the Moro Bars!), but after 3 hours running I knew I could keep going. And so I did.

I ran past Keegan & Tracy's hotel on the lake front and they waved out and gave me the thumbs up. Five minutes later a car load of my cousins and siblings drove past with them tooting and waving. A little extra motivation.

So I kept running.

As I reached 3:30 I passed another runner I'd passed many times during my run. I must've looked terrible because he could see I was struggling. He cheered me on telling me to keep going as he past by. Kindness of strangers, eh?

So I kept at it.

I ran 4 hours and 37.4km (23.32 miles). Ahhh.... easy peasy ;-P

My run was rewarded a few hours later with a glass of red wine and nachos at a restaurant on the lake front, BLISS!!

Unfortunately, weekends must end and this morning it was back to work. My throat is still killing me so maxing out on lozengers, tea with Tim Tams, and Goody Gum Drop ice cream. Nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment