Wednesday 20 February 2013

Stirling Sports Half Marathon Race Report

Still looking fresh near the beginning.
Wow, how time flies! Already I have completed my first race and just over a month to go before my marathon.

On Sunday I raced in the Stirling Sports Half Marathon in Auckland and finished in 2:01:16 which I am quite happy with.

The night before I was staying at a friends place (thanks Tash & Mike!) and had my cousin Tayla with me (she was running the 11km on race day), and my little sister Mikaela (she was our support girl, she looked after us!).

My day started waking at 5:30am in the morning to have some porridge with banana and lots of water before the race. I have read everywhere that on race day you NEVER change anything that you have been doing while training. Unfortunately, I seemed to think I was extra thirsty and drank a lot that morning - but more on the result of that later.

Finding the race start was easy and we found ourselves ready to go well before our start times. Normally, when I put on my shoes I am out the door right away. So having to wait an hour before running was torture, I just wanted to get out there! The start times were all staggered depending on your estimated finishing time, and I started at 8:05am. As I stood at the start line 10 minutes before going, I needed to use the loo, 'Hmmm... must just be nerves,' I thought to myself. Well, the race started and I felt great heading off, but it definitely was not the nerves - and no way was I stopping to use the toilet.

In the first 7km of the race, my thoughts were completely revolving around my full bladder, and trying to keep a steady pace. When I checked my phone with Runkeeper in the first few kms, I had been running stupidly fast. I quickly slowed down and remembered what Keegan had advised, 'Nice and steady at the start, then hammer it after half way.' So I wanted to have 'negative splits' where I run faster in the last part of the race.

Between 7km and 11km there were a lot of hills so I struggled up these while feeling ridiculously thirsty. Still, my full bladder was too much to be able to sip on one of my cordial drinks or water. However, once I hit 11km and began to 'hammer' it my full bladder magically disappeared! Now I pushed hard. After some cordial and gaining speed I felt good, really good. Time was absolutely flying in and this is when I really began to enjoy the race - and the views of the Sky Tower and the harbour.


But it didn't last long...

As I hit 16km it started to go downhill - and unfortunately, I mean my state, not the course itself. I got a bad stitch from drinking cordial and water too quickly, and my legs started to really tighten up. I hit my 'brick wall'.

Although I knew I didn't have much to go, I could feel that my body was going to need more pushing than I had ever given it before. This is where it is all about your mentality. However, as I ran along the harbour side I came around the corner and could see the end of the race! So excited I started to speed up and could not believe the last 5km had gone so fast. As I got closer, I'm not sure if it was me recognising where I was, or the 19km sign, that made me aware of my mistake. This was not the finish line. I hit a BIGGER 'brick wall'.


Running along the harbour. In the background is
Rangitoto Island - where I will run my marathon.
The next couple of kilometers were the toughest run, both mentally and physically, I have ever experienced.
I have no idea how I pushed myself during this point, but in my head I made myself not think of how much I had to go. Instead I concentrated on each and every single step. As I came around another corner and saw the actual finish, I got a little teary, not believing I was actually nearly there.

Now I know, usually as you get to the finish line, you start to sprint or run a lot faster. Nope, I literally had nothing left in the tank. I was done, finito. As I crossed the line I felt the hugest amount of relief and pride. Race done.

On completing the race I also saw on my Runkeeper that the race was actually longer than half marathon distance (21.1km/13.1 miles). Using Runkeeper I worked out I completed the half marathon distance in 1:57:59. But I will stick with my official race time of 2:01:16 - I'll beat it next time easily!

So now I am focused on my training for the marathon. Keegan has reviewed my training and of course increased it dramatically. On Sunday I will run 29km on a very hilly route in the outskirts of Cambridge known as Cambridge Hills Sanitorium Loop. I actually can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment