Tuesday 5 February 2013

Running + Vanity = Impossible

One thing I have learnt these past months is that you can't be concerned about your appearance and train for a marathon. Running is not a pretty sport. I say this for a few reasons that I am now all too familiar with...

  • Blisters Feet - No matter how good your shoes are, I don't think you are ever going to avoid blisters when doing long distance running. The majority of my toes now have blisters, and I even have them along the insides of my feet. In fact, I should change this bullet point to 'feet' because I also have many black toenails (ewww...), and just generally freaky feet right now!
  • Tan lines - Training happened to start at the start of summer so my tan lines are very confused! I have the very gorgeous sock tan going on - and even better it is also mixed with a very slight flip flops tan too. Running has also given me the appearance of always wearing 'white shorts' with a lovely tan line from my running shorts - it doesn't look too fab with a bikini hehe.
  • Hair - I have one day off a week and therefore find I am washing my hair every day. This means blow drying my hair has gone out the window (too hot, and can't be bothered when the next day it will get all sweaty!). And my hair is now always up and pinned back off my face. It is all about practicability not style now!
  • Tomato Face - if anyone has run with me, or seen me run, you know I go bright, bright red. And my redness is highlighted by my very sweaty face. I definitely do the best tomato impersonation!
It might sound like I am moaning here but my freaky feet, and sweaty hair actually don't really bother me. I ran my longest distance of 20km on Sunday and felt so damn good afterwards that my appearance just isn't a priority. In fact, it is quite the opposite: I am proud of the big sweat patches on my shirt after a long run, or showing off my freaky feet as proof of the hard work I am putting into my training.

Marathoning is just another form of insanity.
John J. Kelly, winner of the 1952 Boston Marathon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment